Thursday, January 2, 2014

Don't go without (spiritual) food or drink

Despite the fact that my travel with Jared to Nashville (set a new record for BBQ consumption) knocked me off my schedule for my weekly Bible reflection message, it didn’t stop me from actually completing my daily reading.  In fact, I achieved last year’s goal of reading through the Bible again in the course of the year.  God never ceases to amaze me … having read through the entire Bible now for the past four years straight, and for probably the eighth time in total … His word continues to bring fulfillment, peace, sustenance for daily life, answers to life’s problems, and solutions to our deepest questions.  And in this message for the week, that’s sort of what my reflection has been.

Finishing the Bible this week meant reading through 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude and Revelation.  I realized that I spent the past 52 weeks waking up every single morning reading through the plan I subscribed to on my Bible app.  At times, I read through portions of the Word that felt difficult to get through, or where I knew I was reading because the plan said I needed to.  At times, I struggled to get through my reading without getting distracted, and there were times when I wondered what I’d read after I’d read it.  I’m pretty sure that’s not the way God wanted me to feel as I opened His word each day.

In all seriousness and sincerity, when I look back over the past few years of this practice of diving into the Bible daily I can’t help but be grateful on a variety of levels.  One of the amazing things about the book of Revelation is found in chapter 1, verse 3 …

God will bless everyone who reads this prophecy to others, and he will bless everyone who hears and obeys it.

It should be noted that this is in reference specifically to Jesus’s revelation to John in the book of Revelation, but I think there are some important parallels for us.

First off, God’s Word is meant to be read.  God went so far as to make His actual words known to us through the power of His Holy Spirit directing the writers of the Bible.  All scripture reveals the fact that God knows the end from the beginning and hence has laid it out to us in the Bible by way of the historicity of the Bible, the internal- and external-consistency of the narrative, the fulfilled prophesies (over 300 just about Jesus alone), etc.  He did all that so that we would actually READ His Word.

God’s Word is meant to be done … “obeyed” as the passage says.  Simply put, God knows how He intended for our lives to be lived; He knows the best way for us to live; He knows (and is) love, holiness, and truth.  That is what is articulated in His Word … not doing what’s in His Word, by definition means doing other than fulfilling the standards He knows are right and has outlined for us … and therefore would mean falling short of that standard (i.e., sinning).

Finally, God’s Word is meant to be shared (i.e., “read to others”).  The Bible holds the keys not only to life while here on earth in a temporal sense, but more importantly provides us the crucial understanding of how to accept the free gift of eternal life offered by Jesus through His atoning death on the cross and resurrection on the third day afterward.  To not share that is the pinnacle of selfishness and sinfulness.  It would be the same as having a cure for a deadly disease and refusing to give it to those around you who need it.  Actually, it’s exactly like that.

Why do I say all this stuff?  Well, I want to encourage you to 1) get into the Word regularly if you’re not, or 2) continue regularly in the Word if you are.  Every day, we need food and water.  Every day, we need spiritual food and living water offered by God through the Bible.  Very few of us ever go a few hours without food or water, let alone an entire week.  Yet, many of us will go days, weeks, months or more without nourishing ourselves in the most important way.  As I think back over the past several years of daily Bible reading, I have a tangible, measurable sense of spiritual health and nutrition.  There have been some challenging times over that period, some important growth opportunities and some critical life lessons I’ve learned … and I know without question that I was able to live through them, and help others live through their situations such as these, because of the fortification that God’s Word provides.

I recently read a book, God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew, which is an autobiographical account of a missionary, Brother Andrew, who ministered behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War and emergence of communism.  Much of his ministry entailed smuggling Bibles in native languages to these parts of the world, where doing so was illegal.  Reading through some of his stories brings vividly to light the fundamental need that Brother Andrew was filling … that of the most basic need of hunger and thirst.  Spiritual hunger.  Spiritual thirst.  You read through the accounts of a single Bible being brought to a congregation of hundreds or to a region in a country, and the sheer delight experienced and expressed by the recipients.  I was struck by Andrew’s service in some super scary situations.  I was more struck by God’s provision during these events … supernaturally controlling events to make the illegal delivery of Bibles happen.  But I was emotionally overwhelmed by the reaction of the people who received God’s Word … and convicted at the same time.

I have on my bookshelf no fewer than a dozen English Bibles and probably five or six in different languages.  Yet, I struggle to make it through a regular read of God’s Word at times.  I take the opportunity to read it freely for granted.  At many times over my 15 years as a Christian … I didn’t read it at all.  It’s time for me / us to acknowledge it as the privilege it really is.

This week … no, this YEAR … let’s ask God to heighten our awareness of the preciousness of His Bible.  Let’s prayerfully seek a great insatiable hunger for its nourishment, and a thirst for its refreshment.  For those of us not reading it … let’s commit to, even if one verse a day.  God can speak volumes through a single verse of His Word, especially if our hearts are open to it.  For those of us who are reading but not regularly, let’s buck up.  For those of us reading regularly but in a rote manner, let’s realize that there are millions of people on the earth who don’t get to have a Bible.  Either way, submit to God through His Word and He WILL honor it in ways that will blow us away!  His Word NEVER returns void!

In the strong love of Christ,

MR

No comments:

Post a Comment