Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nowhere but UP

I remember being at a point in my life back in 1998 where I felt I’d reached a low point … in my life’s satisfaction, in my self-confidence, in my health, in my spiritual condition … in many areas.  Though Helen and my marriage was off to a great start and we’d just had our son, when I looked inside myself I just reached a place where I was just displeased with myself.  Primarily as a consequence of some health stuff that started bubbling up, and the realization that I wasn’t living the way I should, wasn’t eating the way I should, and was reaping the consequences.

One afternoon I was walking around our neighborhood on my new exercise regimen, burdened with a heavy weight of fear of what was to come from my newly-diagnosed diabetes and the ramifications of that.  I can remember precisely where it was but I just stopped in the road and said, “God, I know I can’t do this without you.  I’ve tried for too long.  My mom always tells me ‘Let go and let God.’  I can’t muster the courage to put a needle in myself, or to go through what might come with this disease, but I know YOU have the courage.  If You plan for me to go through this, You’ll get me through.  If I have to, I will.  I trust you.”

Immediately, there was a burden lifted from my shoulders.  I’d hit bottom in that season of life … a critical season in that it ultimately led to me surrendering not only that situation, but eventually my entire life to Christ. 

My reading this week (through Job 29 – 35, Psalms 66 – 72, 2 Chronicles 36, and Ezra 1 – 6) brought me to a passage in Psalms 69 that brought back memories of that moment in time … and the blessings ever since.  David expresses palpable dismay and pain throughout the Psalm which opens with obvious anguish in verses 1 – 4 …

Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck.  Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can’t find a foothold.  I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me.  I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched.  My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me.  Those who hate me without cause outnumber the hairs on my head.  Many enemies try to destroy me with lies, demanding that I give back what I didn’t steal.

Ever been there?  Seems likely many, if not most, of us have.  Or, at least felt that way even if in retrospect the reality of the situation wasn’t as bad as we made it.  I think there are many times when we feel like the weight of literally the entire world is on our shoulders, or that we’re under water struggling to get to the surface level but it’s unreachable.  Perhaps it might be that there is no one in our life that is pleased with us, or on our side.  Maybe it feels that no matter what we try to do, we can’t kick an illness or get healthy.  It could be that we just feel alone, ashamed or self-alienated.

I think David was there.  Maybe he was in all those places.  No matter, he just seemed to reach the end of himself.  He hit bottom.  But there’s an important element in hitting bottom.  Like falling into a well.  Once we hit the bottom, there’s nowhere we can look or go but up.  Therein lies the opportunity.  I think God sometimes lets us hit bottom (whether self-induced or otherwise) so that we can ONLY look up.  To HIM.

I’ve been blessed over the years to hear the stories of many folks in their journey to surrendering their life to Jesus.  Many of them came through “normal” circumstances, but many more through someone just reaching the end of themself.  In all those cases, while they reached the end of themselves, they didn’t reach the end of God.  In fact, they may just have reached the beginning of God, or at least the beginning of their relationship with Him.  David moves from pain to prevailing in  verses 29 – 33 …

I am suffering and in pain.  Rescue me, O God, by your saving power.  Then I will praise God’s name with singing, and I will honor him with thanksgiving.  For this will please the Lord more than sacrificing cattle, more than presenting a bull with its horns and hooves.  The humble will see their God at work and be glad.  Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged.  For the Lord hears the cries of the needy; he does not despise his imprisoned people.

The hope expressed in the last verse is profound.  The Lord hears.  If we just stopped there, oftentimes that is all hurting people need to know.  It gets even more encouraging … the Lord does NOT despise his imprisoned people.  That sure isn’t how it feels when we’re at the end of ourselves, does it?  It feels like quite the opposite … it most often feels like we’re in that dark and scary place particularly because God must despise us.  NOT SO.

I think the reason sometimes God needs us to hit bottom is that we’re usually unwilling to reach up until we do.  Either in our pride or our fear, we demand to take care of things ourselves.  In every case I’ve ever lived through or observed, that only makes things worse, like panicking when you’re in quicksand.

Don’t get me wrong … God will reach down ANY time we reach up.  It’s not about His inability or unwillingness to do so.  It’s about OURS.  So we’d do well not to let things get to that point, huh.

Let’s seek our Lord prayerfully this week for any area of our lives where we might be heading to that bottom point.  Let’s ask him to not let us get there … or if we are inevitably doing so, let’s ask Him to remind us that when we do, maybe because we do, He’ll be there ready to pick us up.

Looking up …


MR

No comments:

Post a Comment