Sunday, January 19, 2014

Take a second look ...

My Old Testament journey took me through Genesis 13 – 19, Psalms 13 – 19, and Joshua 13 – 19.  Within that I came across a very familiar passage that has interestingly resonated a bit more deeply than it has in the past.  Fascinatingly, it’s a consequence of the commute to work I now take on.

The passage in particular is in Psalm 19:1 – 6 … probably one that will be recognizable for you, too …

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
 The skies display his craftsmanship.  Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known.  They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard.  Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.  God has made a home in the heavens for the sun.  It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding.  It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.  The sun rises at one end of the heavens and follows its course to the other end.  Nothing can hide from its heat.

I have to say, one of the surprising things about my new job is how enjoyable the commute is.  The logical reaction to that is … “HUH?  You drive an hour or more each way.  How can that be enjoyable?”  Great question.  Don’t get me wrong … I’d just as soon drive the seven minutes I used to have to drive for the past four years.  But I have to say, I drive probably the most picturesque route in the US … driving through south Orange County and north San Diego County, right by the ocean most all the way, is pretty awe-striking.  The time of morning that I leave usually allows me the blessing of seeing the sunrise on the left of my car and its reflection on the ocean on the right side of my car, not to mention the general beauty of the Pacific with or without the sunrise.

The thing I wonder is, is this beauty so enjoyable because it’s new … because it’s novel … because I haven’t gotten sick of it yet?  Will it eventually just fade into the backdrop of a drive on a freeway that could just as well be any freeway in the US?  Might this energizing scenery sometime soon become a nuisance?

I think, then, of David’s words in Psalm 19 … the reminder he gives us of the glory that God demonstrates in all of His creation.  The heavens … the stars, the heavenly bodies, space, and all that is encapsulated in it and reflected by it.  The skies … the clouds, the colors, the paintbrush strokes you can sometimes see in a sunrise or sunset.  Those represent His handiwork … His creativity, His care and love for creation, His joy in just making something beautiful.  The sun … its immensity, its power, its impact on our entire solar system, its importance in sustaining all life on Earth … the unfathomable way it paints a picture each and every morning and evening, a picture that is never once the same.

And so … my takeaway from all this?

God is allowing me, in only the way He can, to take a little more stock of His majesty each day as I drive (or take the train … it’s really no different) to and from my San Diego-based office.  Each day I’ve noticed something that all too often we take for granted.  It reminds me of a scene from the 1980s movie “Running Scared” where Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines are vacationing in south Florida and notice a group of people standing around the beach at the end of the day looking out over the sea.  Billy Crystal asks this lady, “What are you all looking at?”  She responds, “The sun.  It’s setting.”  He says, “No, really.”  She says, “Yeah, we’re looking at the sunset.”  He just shakes his head, perplexed.

I think we all too often look past the beauty of God’s creation.  Too many sunsets go unnoticed.  Too many amazing products of the Lord’s hand escape our attention.  Just Friday as I was stuck in traffic on Torrey Pines Road (one of the most beautiful streets I’ve ever driven) I took a picture of the sunset.  It was magnificent.  The colors were crazy.  There were some clouds that looked like they were just streaked across the sky and they added a texture that made the sky look like you could feel it.  I just smiled and said, “Thanks God.”  I was actually glad I was stuck in traffic.  Huh????

What I think God was saying to me in this Psalm of David and what I’ve been learning the past two weeks is … take a second look.  Notice stuff.  Appreciate things.  Look as God’s glory and handiwork, not just in the skies or sunsets, but in all things.  Nothing exists but for God having conceived it, designed it, and personally created it.  He did that not only to demonstrate His power and glory, but He also did it for our enjoyment.  What a shame it is when we neglect it.  It’s like when we give someone a beautiful gift and they just set it aside, unopened and unappreciated.

So … let’s notice the sunsets and sunrises; appreciate seeing and elderly couple taking a walk, holding hands even after decades of marriage; listen to the sound of a hawk gliding around in the sky; watch the way a baby smiles, cross-eyed, when he / she notices something for the very first time and tries to grasp its substance; notice laughter in a crowded restaurant; go to the beach (if there’s one nearby … if not, come visit us and we’ll join you … haha) and listen to the waves crashing … not a single one of them sounds the same (trust me); look at the colors on trees in the fall; smell a flower or two; listen to truly wonderful music of whatever genre … yep, even rap and metal.  Just … NOTICE and APPRECIATE.  That’s God’s desire for us.  Why?  Just because He loves us so much.

Let’s ask the Lord in prayer this week to help us stop and notice.  At least just one thing.  Let’s slow down a little and see, hear, touch, smell, etc.  How we rob ourselves when we look past it all.  Let’s pledge to take a second look.

Praising God for you and lifting you up to Him,

MR

No comments:

Post a Comment