Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Every ... word ... counts ...

Few things in life are more difficult than waiting or being still, particularly through tough times.  Doesn’t it seem like the very things in life that are challenging to experience tend to move slowly, and the exciting, glorious moments tend to move by at the speed of light?  As you would imagine, knowing me, I think there is without question a purpose God has in those moments … and that leads to my reading this week.  My plan this week took me through Genesis 41 – 47, Psalms 41 – 47, Judges 17 – 21, and Ruth 1 – 2.

Psalm 46 is a remarkable reminder of God’s power and protection, and His desire and ability to defend and intervene for us in the toughest times in our lives.  It starts with a profound statement about God’s strength for us, and culminates with a relatively counterintuitive roadmap for how we can survive the trials the world throws at us.

Verse 1 – 3 …
God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.  So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.  Let the oceans roar and foam.  Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge! Interlude.

Note that this says when the troubles of life come … not if the troubles of life come.  Troubles are a certainty of life.  We needn’t cower in the face of the inevitable tonnage of issues and trials we’ll face.  Verse 10 gives us what I believe is one of the most powerful passages in the Bible to remind us how we can survive those trials … not only survive them, but to grow because of them.

“Be still, and know that I am God!  I will be honored by every nation.  I will be honored throughout the world.”

“Be still, and know that I am God!”  What an overwhelmingly powerful promise!  What I love most about God’s Word is the fact that every single word is purposefully placed and was thought-out from time immemorial by the Creator of the Universe.  Of course, the words were selected and rendered in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, leaving it to us to translate from those languages to ours, and our English language doesn’t always do God’s chosen words justice.  But in the times when it does … and I believe it does when it comes to Psalms 46:10 … I find it strength-inspiring to take His Word, word-by-word.  It’s a technique I apply from time-to-time to slow down, to draw in all I believe God wants us to.  I actually think it’s really helpful to read this section of scripture (and others) in such a way that you emphasize each individual word separately, in succession, and reflect on each one individually that way.  Here’s how …

BE still and know that I am God!
Be STILL and know that I am God!
Be still AND know that I am God!
Be still and KNOW that I am God!
Be still and know that I am God!
Be still and know that I AM God!
Be still and know that I am GOD!

BE
The word means a variety of things, but chiefly among them “to exist or to live.”  Importantly, this verse is telling us to choose the state of existence that follows.  It means to live as a particular state … in this instance …

STILL
Unmoving.  Unwavering.  Patient.  Active by being inactive.  I don’t know about you, but being still, especially in trying times, is NOT my typical M.O.  But think about it.  When we’re truly still, we can hear, see, feel, etc., much more clearly because the otherwise ever-present distractions of life get in the way.  All too often, through the muck and muss, I tussle, fight, wiggle, etc.  Anything but be still.  Which is why we should instead choose stillness.

AND
The conjunction “and” gives us the connection between one thing and another.  It’s an assurance that when we do one thing, the other thing follows in turn.  The precedent statement is indelibly tied to the following one.

KNOW
Not “believe.”  Not “guess.”  Not “hope.”  Not “wonder whether.”  KNOW.  KNOW!  One definition says, “To perceive or understand as fact or truth.  To apprehend clearly and with certainty.”  Enough said!

I
God is personal to us.  That’s one part of the power of the “I” in this passage.  The other thing I love about this word in this passage is that when He says, “I” He doesn’t say “you.”

AM
He is.  He is not, “not”.  When we wonder, He is helping us remove the wonder.  When we question, He is answering the question.  When we doubt, He is removing the doubt.  It’s a statement of reassurance, of validation, of fulfillment, of guarantee, of fact.

GOD
He is GOD!  He is the Creator of the entire universe and every infinitesimal detail within it that holds it and ties it all together.  His nature is to be able to do anything and everything in accordance with His nature.  Hence, He can get us through any current trial, and any future trial.  He is Truth, He upholds His promises, He can’t fail, He can’t not love, He can and will protect and defend us, even in the difficulties.  He is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving.  He is GOD!!!


When times get tough, or when I question or doubt, I recite this passage slowly, emphasizing each word individually and independently, in the same manner I have outlined.  Yeah, I know it sounds a little goofy, but it works!  So, as you confront something that seems bigger than you, something that brings anxiety or nervousness, rest on God’s promise, and receive God’s strength.

“Be still, and know that I am God!”

What an amazing, powerful, bona fide promise!!!

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  We should approach the enormity of God’s Word the same way.  Every … word … counts.

May our Lord bless you by every word He speaks to you in whatever way He speaks it this week!


MR

No comments:

Post a Comment