Sunday, April 20, 2014

Where's the bunny?

So … I’ve looked and looked and looked over the past several times I’ve read through the Bible cover to cover and I have to admit.  I’m at a loss.  Not once in the past five years of reading it front to back, have I found mention of a rabbit.  Especially one that is in any way associated with Easter.  I’ve found two mentions in the Old Testament of “hare,” both of which are associated with restrictions of eating them in accordance with the Old Testament dietary guidelines.  (Perhaps that’s a good excuse for me to use for not eating the bunnies in the backyard that I pick off with our pellet gun … ha!)

Perhaps I’m telegraphing this message this week, but I’m struggling with why we are so willing to honor a fictitious furry critter whose best contribution to society appears to be eating our grass and shrubs, narrowly missing the 800 feet per second projectiles I keep firing at them.  What, pray tell, does a rabbit have to do with Easter, other than supposedly bringing chocolates and candies … which most of us should be staying away from anyway?  And, why do eggs all of a sudden on Easter become so enticing?  As I sit here in my office, I can hear families in some of our neighbors’ homes holding Easter egg hunts.  Let’s face it, any egg that is laid outside in the yard probably isn’t worth eating … I’d just as soon get the ones from the market.  Enough of being facetious I guess.

Now don’t get me wrong … I don’t see anything wrong with having a contest to find eggs and candy.  At least the kids can get a little exercise before engorging themselves with all that sugar. 

But more on point … I have to wonder have we, as Christians, surrendered the responsibility to share the real meaning of Easter to our friends, loved ones, and the world?  Maybe we ourselves have forgotten.  Maybe, just maybe, we are choosing not to remember for fear of conjuring up some of those visuals I talked about in last week’s post.  I’m not sure, but perhaps it’s just a good opportunity to take stock.

My reading this week brought me through one of the Psalms that served as a fitting reminder.  In totality, I read through Leviticus 14 – 20, Psalms 104 – 110, 2 Samuel 24, and 1 Kings 1 – 6.  In Psalm 107, God provides a nice Old Testament model to help focus our vision on the need to remember the real purpose of commemorating Easter.  The entire Psalm fills that purpose, but verses 1 – 9 are sufficient to make the point.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good!  His faithful love endures forever.  Has the Lord redeemed you?  Then speak out!  Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies.  For he has gathered the exiles from many lands, from east and west, from north and south.  Some wandered in the wilderness, lost and homeless.  Hungry and thirsty, they nearly died.  “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress.  He led them straight to safety, to a city where they could live.  Let them praise the Lord for his great love
and for the wonderful things he has done for them.  For he satisfies the thirsty
and fills the hungry with good things.

I love the reminder … “Has the Lord redeemed you?  Then speak out!”  Today we remember the WAY that the Lord redeemed us all.  Yeah, it came through Good Friday, but the most important element of the redemption comes from Easter in Jesus’s conquering of death for Himself, and for all of us.  Over 2,000 years ago Easter came to be.  Way before the idea of some creepy giant bunny who delivers candy.  Way back then, the reason to speak out arose.  Without the resurrection of Jesus, there is no Easter.

But the rest of this passage, and in fact the rest of the Psalm, provide a really poignant reminder of the reason we should speak out.  I can say firsthand, that before I met the Lord, I felt like I often “wandered in the wilderness, lost and homeless.”  I know I frequently went “hungry and thirsty” spiritually-speaking.  Obviously, before coming to faith in Christ, I “nearly died” from an eternal perspective.

God’s response is the reason we should speak out.  Because, “he rescued them [us] from their [our] distress.”  Because, “He led them [us] straight to safety, to a city where they [we] could live.”

I love chocolate like the next guy, but all that stupid fictitious bunny does is give me candy, God … through Jesus’s death and resurrection … gives me life, safety, nourishment, etc.  Not just today, but every day and eternally.

My challenge for you is to read through Psalm 107.  It’s not long.  Go through it slowly and ask yourself … and ask God to help you … if you can relate to any of the “them”, “they”, or “some” that are mentioned.  If we’re honest, I’d be willing to bet that we can all identify with many if not most.

Once you do that, then have a look at the ways the Lord comes to the aid of the “them”, “they” or “some” and note how much YOU or WE fit those in the way God “rescues”, “saves”, and does “wonderful things” for us through His Son.

The great thing about the REAL Easter holiday is that it’s an every day thing, not just a once a year thing.  Jesus died and rose for us for all time.  With Him we enjoy the rewards forever.  The bunny only comes once a year.

8-)

Enjoy the blessings of Easter … every day of the year.  And … “speak out” and tell someone about it.

In Christ, once and for all,


MR

1 comment: