Tuesday, May 13, 2014

HE will see us through

Tomorrow morning we leave for San Francisco … ironically, Helen, Courtney and I on the same flight.  I have to be there for business and Helen and Courtney for an appointment during which Courtney is going to get fitted with her brace.  If I’m totally honest about it, and I am, I’m a little more than reticent.  Not for Helen or me, but needless to say for Courtney.  I see her about to get put into this thing that is hard, uncomfortable, intrusive, and possibly visible to others.  On one hand, I struggle for her, but on the other I know she is going to need Helen and me to be supportive and that’s what she’ll get from us.  As the dad, I will be granite … my little girl (and my wife) need that.

As I read through my daily plan this week (Numbers 8 – 14, Psalms 125 – 131, 1 Kings 21 – 22 and 2 Kings 1 – 5) I was moved in a couple different directions and was actually thinking about writing on another passage until I was just flipping through my Bible app and came across Psalms 126.  As I did, something about it made me stop on it.  When that happens, I know it’s time to pay attention.  When I looked at it again, it was all too evident that I needed to write it for myself, sort of the opposite of a “take my advice, I’m not using it” type of deal.

Psalm 126 reads …

When the Lord brought back his exiles to Jerusalem, it was like a dream!  We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy.  And the other nations said, “What amazing things the Lord has done for them.”  Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us!  What joy!  Restore our fortunes, Lord, as streams renew the desert.  Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy.  They weep as they go to plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the harvest.

What we’re going through right now is rough … not life-threatening, but hard on the heart for our daughter.  We all have situations where it feels like we’re going through a tunnel … no lights, no ability to see around us, uncertainty about which direction we’re going, and no idea how long we’ll be in the dark.  When the Israelites returned from exile to Jerusalem it was as though they were being freed, as if they’d finally reached the end of the dark tunnel and were able to be once again on the outside, with light, safety, and the ability to see around them.

Right now we’re about to head into the tunnel.  We don’t know how long we’re going to be in it, we won’t be able to see around us, it’ll feel dark, and things will be uncomfortable.  Courtney most of all.  I guess what hit most about this Psalm wasn’t the hopefulness it provides me, it’s what it does for Helen and most of all for Courtney.  God’s blessed me with the ability to remain calm in squirrelly situations.  But 13 year-olds aren’t always blessed with that.  I think Courtney is pretty resilient over all, and is facing the upcoming tunnel like a true champ.  But there will be times when the tunnel will seem longer than it should be, the darkness thicker and the discomfort unbearable.  Helen and I will now have the opportunity to share with Courtney some foundational skills in living a life through challenge trusting in God.  Among God’s many promises, I’ll be able to share that hopefulness that He provides … that just as he restored the Israelites to their home and from the darkness of bondage and exile, He will restore us through the challenges life brings.

When the Israelites returned to Jerusalem, look at their response.  Joyfulness!  Laughter!  Singing!  Celebration!  They didn’t dampen the moment by reflecting backward, they looked at their new reality.  The past was no less real, but God gave them the ability to see their NEW state in light of their OLD one.  He was gracious in not leaving them in the darkness and scariness … He finished the job and brought them through to the other side.  He will do that for Courtney as well, and a year or so from now when her brace is off and (God-willing) her scoliosis has stopped progressing and maybe even reversed, there will be joyfulness, laughter, singing and celebration in the Rodriguez home.  Because He will have brought us all the way through.

Are there tunnels you’re in the middle of right now.  Do things seem scary, dark, obscure, and longer than you’d expected?  Take heart in knowing that God is working to bring you all the way through your situation.  Ask Him to remind you that He is busy at work, not sleeping on the job.  He’s 100% focused on YOU not someone else who has a problem bigger.  God’s got the ability to focus on your situation and mine all at the same time and He is no less omnipotent with either one of us.

Ask God in prayer to give you His peace, His comfort, His love over the situations you’re facing.  Ask Him to remind you as you meditate on Psalms 126 and other portions of His word, that He will finish the job.  He will bring you (us) through.  In fact, He will share in the celebration with us when He does.  Count on it!

Trusting Jesus through all circumstances,

MR



No comments:

Post a Comment