Tuesday, July 1, 2014

God doesn't play hard-to-get

I used to love watching Popeye the Sailor Man when I was a kid.  If you’ve never watched it, check it out sometime … no doubt it’s available online.  One thing I could never understand is what he saw in Olive Oyl.  Seriously.  Not only was she the epitome of unattractive (in my not particularly humble opinion), but she always played hard-to-get.  

What I thought must have been so difficult for poor Popeye (yeah, it’s pretty stupid to me, too, that I feel bad for a cartoon … but I have to make my point somehow) was not knowing whether Olive cared and was just playing the hard-to-get card to keep Popeye honest, or whether she really didn’t care at all and was just biding her time until someone else (like Bluto) came along.  Dang, the confusion and head games that Popeye had to battle with!

Unlike people, God never plays hard-to-get.  Quite the opposite.  As I went through my Old Testament reading plan this week (through Deuteronomy 21 – 27, Psalms 24 – 30, and 1 Chronicles 23 – 29), one passage among many helped me see this point.  It might not be obvious on the face of the passage, but allow me to expound on it a bit more.  First, Psalm 24:3-6 says …

Who may climb the mountain of the Lord?  Who may stand in his holy place?  Only those whose hands and hearts are pure, who do not worship idols and never tell lies.  They will receive the Lord’s blessing and have a right relationship with God their savior.  Such people may seek you and worship in your presence, O God of Jacob.

On first pass, this passage may seem like anything but an easy route to God.  The bar looks in fact like it’s set quite high.  Who may approach God … have fellowship with Him?  Those whose hands are “pure” and whose hearts are “pure”.  I don’t know about you, but neither my hands nor my heart could be characterized as pure.  In other words, at some point in my life … maybe even recently … I’ve done, thought, or felt something that was outside of the will of God or His holy standard for my life.  Have I worshipped idols or told lies?  Guilty as charged.  And yes, I know I am not alone in this.  We’re all guilty.

So what’s the big deal?  We’re all messed up, so what does it matter?  Aren’t we all therefore just on the same level ground together?  Yes, we are.  But that is where the tragedy lies, because in this level ground we all lose out on what we would otherwise qualify for before our Lord … His “blessing” and a “right relationship with God [our Savior].”

But, this is where the love of our God shines brightest.  Even while staring in the face of this high … and humanly-speaking impossible to reach … standard, God loves us.  By sending His Son Jesus, He showed us just how much He loves us.

None of us can climb the mountain of the Lord … none of us can stand in His holy place.  None of us have hands and hearts that are pure … they all worship idols and all tell lies.  But Jesus died for us because He couldn’t live without us.  That is, God’s heart is so desirous of fellowship with us, and so full of love for us, that He didn’t want us to miss out on His blessing and a right relationship with Him.  None of us qualify to seek Him and worship in His presence, so by Jesus’s laying down His life and becoming the bridge to the Father, we can enjoy that fellowship.

The point is, God doesn’t play hard-to-get.  He makes His love for us as plain as day, as obvious as the daytime sun.  Some in society are loathe to accept that there is only one way to God … I see it as at least God provided that Way.  He could just as easily have not, and let us all fall by the wayside by virtue of our obvious unworthiness.  Instead, He didn’t play hard-to-get and keep us guess whether He loves us or not, He plays easy-to-get, allowing all who call upon Him to have the loving and intimate relationship He so wants with us.

So the next time you are tempted to wonder if God really cares … just think of Jesus.  Think of the lengths God went to reach you.  If we looked to qualify on our own, by virtue of the qualifications of Psalm 24, we would fail and fail huge.  We couldn’t make it on our best day … or in our best five minutes.

When Jesus surrendered His life (he wasn’t killed, he gave his life up freely), He was thinking of you (and me).  Your (and my) name was on his mind.  There’s no guessing … God SO LOVED you (and me) that He gave His only Son to die for us (John 3:16).  There’s no easier love to see, no easier love to experience, no easier love to accept, no easier love to enjoy.

Let’s ask God this week to remind us the lengths He went for each of us individually.  Let’s think specifically of the ways we don’t qualify on our own, and then let’s think of Jesus bridging the gap for us.  Let’s acknowledge His loving sacrifice and give Him our praise the gift He gave us.

God does NOT play hard-to-get, so let’s thank Him for being easy-to-get.

Blessings,


MR

1 comment: