Sunday, March 30, 2014

The joy of the loud and proud

While I’m not a huge college basketball fan (not an anti-fan, just don’t really get remotely interested until March Madness), I do find it fun to watch particularly during the tournament.  Primarily because, probably even more than college football, you see the intensity of each team’s following during this time of the year.  Just this morning I read about 15 University of Arizona students that were arrested last night after rioting in connection with the Wildcats’ defeat to Wisconsin yesterday.  The fanaticism isn’t limited to U of A, to this year, or even to hoops for that matter.  But in that incredible passion we see in sports fans we can focus a mirror on ourselves and our faith.

How?

My reading this week included Exodus 33 – 39, Psalms 83 – 89, and 2 Samuel 3 – 9.  In 2 Samuel chapter 6 an interesting event occurs where we see what David was passionate about and I think we can use that to evaluate ourselves a bit.

Remember that the ark of the covenant had previously been taken by the Philistines and eventually recovered but still hadn’t been moved back to Jerusalem, the city of David.  Until now … we pick up the sequence of events in verse 16 …

But as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she was filled with contempt for him.  They brought the Ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the special tent David had prepared for it. And David sacrificed burnt offerings and peace offerings to the Lord.  When he had finished his sacrifices, David blessed the people in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.  Then he gave to every Israelite man and woman in the crowd a loaf of bread, a cake of dates, and a cake of raisins.  Then all the people returned to their homes.  When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!”  David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the Lord, who chose me above your father and all his family! He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the Lord, so I celebrate before the Lord.  Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes!  But those servant girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinguished!”

Now despite any aspect of David’s dancing that might have been vulgar (I think we can chalk that up to the standards at the time, plus Michal’s predisposition against David), we have behavior here that we can use as a model for ourselves.

Note that having the Ark in Jerusalem was cause for unimaginable celebration.  David, king, leader, model, example, let’s the joy he felt be seen and heard.  His joy, of course, was the direct consequence of the Lord’s provision and deliverance of the Ark into its rightful possession and residence.  David is said to have leapt and danced before the Lord.  He was unconcerned about appearances … after all, he was the king of Israel and one could certainly assert that he should have behaved in a regal way.  But not David, a writer of many of the Psalms wherein his love for and closeness to the Lord is quite apparent even in the times of dismay that he experienced.

The question for us is, what are we like in our recognition of the Lord’s provision, victory, love, etc.?  Are we the type of Christians that will sing in church but wouldn’t be imagined to show passion or emotion outside it?  Are we those who talk about “believing” it but wouldn’t want to be scene “living” it?  Are we worried that someone might … as was Michal … be put off or “filled with contempt” because we are unfettered in acknowledging we have a faith in the God of the Bible?  I’m not talking about going out on the street and preaching to strangers (though I believe there IS a time and place for that), or forcing our beliefs into the faces of those who have expressed disinterest in hearing us.  Those behaviors can quickly progress beyond passion to obnoxiousness … as with everything in our faith, a fervent but measured balance is best.

But as David was unabashed in his joy in and gratefulness to God, so must we be.  Again, there’s a fine line between being impassioned and insufferable, but if we’re open and honest in recognizing what God has done for us through His Son Jesus, I think a very understandable response is elation of the type that David expressed.

Truth be told, I don’t of course always portray this type of exuberance.  There are sometimes … Lord forgive me … that I just don’t feel like being in a good mood, and I can often just drag others down.  I think we all have moments like this, in our humanity.  One technique I use (when I am open enough to it) is to put on music.  That’s one thing king David and I share is a love for music … albeit I’m sure David and my idea of music would differ (though I’m convinced he, too, would have loved country music … hee haw!).  Particularly during my new commute of 120 miles per day, my joyfulness can get sapped.  To gut-check myself, I’ve put together a music playlist that I can play either during my drive or at other times … songs of praise to God that have the right vibe and lyrics and remind me of how immensely grateful I should be.  And if you’ve ever driven behind or around me … my apologies but when I’m praising, you’ll see me bouncing, waving my hands, and singing … LOUDLY.

My devotions in the morning are another way that I remind myself.  God’s Word never fails to prompt me about all the ways God has provided for Helen, the kids and me … loved us … forgiven us … sustained us … blessed us.  And at least for me, that’s reason to leap and dance and sing.  And it’s enough to fortify me in not worrying in the least what the Michals of the world think.

In my view, that’s the attitude we should have at all times.  David’s attitude.  Remember the cross of Christ and what He saved us from.  That alone should make us sing and dance.

Let’s pray this week and ask our Father to reveal to us what it is that holds us back.  Of course, as noted earlier we need to be mindful of being appropriate to situations and circumstances but we should act as if we really are grateful.  Our joy should be evident to all.  We should revel in the moments that warrant celebration, knowing that God is the source of the celebration.   Like Jesus says in Matthew 5 … “No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.”  Let’s be evident.  Let’s give credit to God where it’s due.  But let’s be joyful.  And yeah, if it means once in a while you need to jump and sing and dance … go for it.   It’s a blast and I’m pretty sure God loves it!

Be blessed this week!

MR

No comments:

Post a Comment