Sunday, September 14, 2014

Don't bend and you won't break

I hate when USC’s football team loses.  I recognize that, among the manifold major issues plaguing our world, whether or not a bunch of 18 to 22 year olds win a football game doesn’t rank highly enough in importance to even reach unimportant.  But I had to at least say it …

As I read through the blogs and Instagram posts after the game to share in pain with the many other Trojan alumni (trying to look past the profanity that proliferates not only in the football culture but seemingly our whole culture), there was a common theme that struck a chord with me, and ironically it fit a scripture verse that I felt had a lot of applicability to many of us.

One of the criticisms of USC’s defense in years past (and it was mentioned about last night's loss) is this notion of “bend, but don’t break.”  Meaning, allow the offense to make little gains here and there, but don’t allow them to make big gains.  To me, little gains eventually add up to big ones.  It seems that being conservative in that way ultimately fails … you just prolong the eventual.  Now obviously many, many people way more expert in football than me will argue against my point, and probably aptly.  Perhaps it’s my competitive and black-and-white nature.  But it still seems to me that “bend, but don’t break” ultimately becomes, “bend, and eventually, break.”

The same holds true in life and in our personal behaviors.  What we allow, we avow … speaking of our personal actions, not those of others.  I’ll clarify my point in a minute.  But during my reading through Micah 2 – 7, Psalms 101 – 107, Jeremiah 2 – 8, and Nahum 1, this week, I came across Psalm 101, and some crucial reminders of the need for vigilance in our behavior.  Psalm 101 (NLT), written by king David, reads …

I will sing of your love and justice, Lord. I will praise you with songs.  I will be careful to live a blameless life — when will you come to help me?  I will lead a life of integrity in my own home.  I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar.  I hate all who deal crookedly; I will have nothing to do with them.  I will reject perverse ideas and stay away from every evil.  I will not tolerate people who slander their neighbors.  I will not endure conceit and pride.  I will search for faithful people to be my companions. 
Only those who are above reproach will be allowed to serve me.  I will not allow deceivers to serve in my house, and liars will not stay in my presence.  My daily task will be to ferret out the wicked and free the city of the Lord from their grip.

Now let me be categorical in saying … nothing in this passage is suggested to give us license to go around and poke others in the eye about the wicked things they’re doing.  Too often, we as Christians spend too much of our time pointing our fingers at others and speaking down our noses at their wickedness … all the while missing our own.  We should never forget that while God abhors all sin, that includes our personal sin, which is the only sin over which we are accountable.

Anyhow, what I love about this psalm is how explicit it is … and how driven to personal responsibility it is.  Poignantly, David writes about struggles and sinfulness that no doubt he must have battled with, because frankly we all do.

He starts off by identifying the best way to equip ourselves of success on the balance of the admonitions in the psalm … by reminding us to recognize God’s goodness and power … the very power to which we have access through the Holy Spirit to set the goals that follow throughout the rest of the psalm.  Let’s face it, we are … when left to our own devices … utterly incapable of behaving in a God-honoring way.  The Bible says that ALL have sinned (Romans 3:23) and that there are NONE that are righteous (Romans 3:10), but that we can have Christ’s righteousness because God laid upon Him all our sin.  So, if we’re going to achieve any positive behavior, we have to give God the glory and credit up front.

After this proper recognition, David begins by acknowledging his responsibility for the type of personal accountability for which we all should strive.   Note that he doesn’t say, “I will try to,” or “I will do my best to,” or “So long as other people do what they’re supposed to, I will …” He hits the nail on the head, by being specific, to the point, and unambiguous … he says, “I will lead a life of integrity in my own home,” and “I will refused to look at anything vile or vulgar,” and “I will have nothing to do with all those who deal crookedly.”  The rest of the psalm is equally plain, and demonstrative.

Take a second to read the psalm again, this time out loud.  If you’re like me, you almost take this as a bit of a pledge or covenant.  I challenge you (us) to accept it as such.  Any or all of those statements are challenging in our daily life, but pivotal not only if we’re to live the life that God wants us to (most importantly) but also if we’re to have successful lives.  It goes without saying that these types of behaviors, and commitments to exhibit them consistently, are the only way we as Christians, business and community leaders, parents, friends, colleagues, etc., are ever to gain and maintain the trust and relationship that we seek for our fulfillment, and that others need if we’re ever to point them to Jesus.

Equally important, though, is how unequivocal the standard is as David lays it out.  It’s clear from scripture that ANY deviation, however minor, from God’s holy standard is sin.  So, with respect to the types of behaviors David talks about we must be absolute.  Again, not in pointing out in a condemning way the shortfalls of others, but in laying upon ourselves the standards of expectations.  That is, we must never bend, lest we break.

The Bible teaches that a little sin invades and pervades us (1 Corinthians 5:6) … that is, when we allow even a little bit of sin in our life, it’s far easier to allow more and more.  Thus, we have to take a very hard line on the standard we expect of ourselves.  It’s not that we’ll ever achieve that standard, but our attitude MUST be unrelenting and uncompromising.  That’s the only way we’ll ever have a chance to live a life that is pleasing to God and likely to result in the type of fulfillment we seek (which can only come from Him).  It’s certainly not a guarantee, but it’s a crucial element.

That’s also the only way we can live a life that is attractive to others; the only way we can show people the validity and value of a life lived for God’s glory; the only way to demonstrate why someone would want to know Jesus.

This week, let’s prayerfully ask the Lord to reveal to us any of the areas in Psalms 101 where we might not be attaining the standard to the degree we ought.  Let’s also pray that He’ll help us to be open to the truth and feedback with which He responds in His grace.  Either way, let’s commit … don’t bend … don’t break.

Doing neither …



MR

No comments:

Post a Comment