Wednesday, October 8, 2014

He doesn't move

We often hear the tragic report from folks who divorce … “we just grew apart.”  It always sounds like something happened as a consequence of inaction.  But when two people start together, to become apart, something active needs to happen.  That is, movement away from one another.  There is no other way to create distance.  In most cases that I’m aware of, it always seems that both people move in different directions.  Rarely is it one person moving.  No matter how you slice it, though, it’s tragic, destructive, and sad.

The same holds true when we feel like become distant from God … that is, it’s tragic, destructive, and sad.  It’s not the same, however, in the sense of how that distance comes to be.  My reading this week as I continue through the Old Testament this year, gave me a strong reminder of this.  Reading through Zechariah 5 – 11, Psalms 122 – 128, and Jeremiah 23 – 29, I came across a very familiar section in Jeremiah 29 that got my attention.  In Jeremiah 29:12 – 14, we’re told …

In those days when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.  I will be found by you,” says the Lord.  “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes.  I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”

I don’t know about you, but there have been a number of times in my life when I’ve felt distant from God, like we’d grown apart.   Certainly, before I accepted Christ as my Savior … I was, by definition, apart from Him.  But even since that 13th day of December 1999, there have been times when I’ve felt distant from God.  What does that mean?  Well, much the same as it can mean in human relationships.  The sense that you’re not on the same page.  The lack of communication.  The feeling of closeness.  Being in sync with one another.  Absence of enjoyment even when in contact with one another.  Behaving in ways contrary to what we know the other person prefers or desires.  Of course, these are all symptoms to a greater problem.

Finding symptoms isn’t helpful unless we can also determine the cause of the issue.  So, what makes us feel distant from God?  It’s clear from scripture, particularly the scripture cited above from Jeremiah … when we feel distant from God, it’s because WE MOVED.  How do I know that?  Because God’s Word tells us that He doesn’t move away from us.  He doesn’t leave us or neglect us (Deuteronomy 31:6).  He is with us wherever we go (Joshua 1:9).

When we start off close and together, distance can only be created when someone moves.  If God doesn’t move away from us, then we must have moved away from Him.  We create the distance.  We walk away.  How do we do this?  It’s a good question, because I’m not sure that we necessarily intentionally walk away and create distance between God and us.  But clearly, something had to happen … or not happen.  What?

What God most desires from us is simple.  It’s a relationship.  Closeness.  That relationship comes from interaction … closeness comes from contact.   Intimacy comes from getting to know about someone in a deep and meaningful way.  With God, interaction comes from prayer and listening to His voice; contact comes from fellowship with other believers and growing together in faith; getting to know God comes from reading and studying His Word.  Of course, then, the absence of those creates distance and aloneness. 

Jeremiah reminds us of something crucial though.  Our natures as humans often creates in us a false self-sufficiency that pulls us away from God.  To some extent, it’s inevitable.  Jeremiah’s conveyance of God’s words, however, gives us hope in an indelible promise from God … “when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.  I will be found by you …”  We don’t have to do anything but pray … and wholeheartedly seek Him.  In other words, move back to Him.  He’s still there … where He was when we walked away.  God never, ever moves away from us.  Ever. 

If there’s any part of our lives that feels distant from God, move closer to Him.  Go back to Him.  He’s right where we left Him.  He wants closeness, intimacy, friendship with us.

Let’s start by asking God this week in prayer to show us any areas ... if not our self in its entirety … that need us to move back to Him.  He’s there, just waiting.  He hasn’t budged an inch.  Can we grasp the gravity of that … even if we’ve left Him jilted standing in the same place where He was … He is faithfully, lovingly, dutifully, graciously still there.  Just waiting.  He hasn’t flinched in the least.  That is how much He loves you and me.

Standing right here with Him,

MR

No comments:

Post a Comment