Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Take my advice (or else!)

Psalm 139:1-6 and 13-16 reads …

O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.  You know when I sit down or stand up.  You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.  You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.  You know everything I do.  You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.  You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!    You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.  You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.  You saw me before I was born.  Every day of my life was recorded in your book.  Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

Strangely, my name is nowhere in that passage.  That is, it does NOT say, “O [Michael], you have examined my heart and know everything about me.”  It does NOT say, “[Michael] made all the delicate, inner part of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.”  It does NOT say, “[Michael] saw me before I was born.  Every day of my life was recorded in [Michael’s] book.”  For the record, it doesn’t say your name in there either.

The reason this struck me in my reading through Hosea 1 – 6, Psalms 136 – 142, and Jeremiah 37 – 43 is because I have a confession … I can’t stand when people don’t do what I think they should.  I hate it even worse when people ask my advice, I give it, and then they don’t do what my advice entailed.  I realize that sounds arrogant.  No … actually, it IS arrogant.  That’s the issue.  It’s been an issue for me for a lifetime.  It really bothers me when people don’t do what I think they should.  In reflection, it’s really as ridiculous as it sounds, but I don’t think I can say it’s unique.  Something tells me we all have a similar battle.  For some reason I … we … think my (our) advice is somehow either unique or accurate.  The passage I parked on this week, though, sheds light into what makes this thinking absurd.

Psalm 139 is a very familiar passage to many of us.  So much so, that I was actually not planning to write on it this week for fear that anything that I could come up with would be too cliché or unoriginal.  But as always, God helped me realize something through some real life circumstances that otherwise I would have looked past … and missed a critically important gem for me … something I really, really needed to realize.

Psalm 139 is amazing in its plainness and clarity.  God formed us from before we were born, in fact as we were molded in our mothers’ wombs.  More aptly, even before then, but you get the point.  God knows everything about us.  He knows what we’re thinking, even before we think it.  He knows everywhere we are, and everything we do.  He knows what we’re going to say and even put the words there.  He has laid out every day of our life, including those that haven’t even happened yet.  Not even every day, in fact … every moment.  And, that’s true of every single one of us.

But not me … I didn’t, don’t and won’t do any of those things that God did, does or will do.  I can’t.  I’ll never be able to because of my lack of omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence … oh, and preexistence.  Lots of strikes against me.

So why should my opinion matter, then?  Why is it that I get balled up when someone doesn’t do what I think they should or what I tell them to when they ask me?  Why do I think I have any remote semblance of context that might be helpful to someone?  And therein lies the preposterousness of my attitude.  Not so with God.  He knows everything about us including things that aren’t yet revealed about us.  So, who’s better to give advice and who’s opinion should matter?  Yup … His.

That doesn’t negate the fact that we should or could give our advice at times, particularly when asked.  God spoke through a donkey in the Bible, so no doubt He could also speak through us if He wants.  But we also need to realize that He might not choose to.  Or, He might speak through us something meant to be a counterpoint to something else someone else might bring up that is the real direction He intends.  Or, He might allow us to speak up simply because of His love that allows us free will, including the will to choose contrary to good advice, and thereby have the recipient learn or grow from it.

When we give advice, we should do so after prayer and listening for God’s voice.  We should do so without any preconception that our point of view is THE point of view.  We should recognize that we don’t have ANY of the attributes of God as articulated in Psalm 139 and therefore anything we suggest could be devoid of proper context or even proper intentionality.  We should give the advice lovingly, graciously and freely, without expectation of anything in return … including the return that comes from us seeing our “amazing” advice carried out so we can bask in it.  We need to realize that God can be using our advice precisely so that the receiver does NOT use it … which could be squarely in His will somehow in a way that He alone knows.

You can give without loving, but you can’t love without giving.  Giving advice … when done through the ministry of the Holy Spirit and through loving, pure intentions … is a loving thing to do.  Expecting the recipient to listen or do something in return is NOT love.  Let’s ask God to give us a heart of love for others and one another wherein we graciously allow others to have our advice whether they choose to follow it or not.  Then, let’s ask Him to change our hearts so that we are willing to accept the ultimate outcome.

Because He knows us, in every way there is to know …


MR

No comments:

Post a Comment